Versions Compared

Key

  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Table of Contents

Meeting Time and Conference information

Meeting Time:  3rd Monday of each month at 1pm EST as needed (if there are no agenda items, the meeting is cancelled)

Zoom LinkEdgeX Working Group 2 is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: EdgeX - Monthly Architects Meeting
Time: Nov 30 2020 10:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Every month on the Third Mon, until Nov 18, 2024, 50 occurrence(s)

Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Monthly: https://zoom.us/meeting/vpEufuytpzstxwJXp3nHvYoHt7mRqmscaw/ics?icsToken=98tyKuqtrTIvH92Vt1_Hd7MvA5X5buHylmlZgJtNzxHNFRlcShehO9BTP6F8Ec-B

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/353955907?pwd=MEhSQmlxQ1lLcCtsQ1lrSFh6cE0yQT09

Meeting ID: 353 955 907
Passcode: 150365
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,353955907# US (San Jose)
+1646558865612532158782,,353955907# US (New YorkTacoma)

Dial by your location
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
877 369 0926 US Toll-free
855 880 1246 US Toll-free
+1 778 907 2071 Canada
+1 204 272 7920 Canada
+1 438 809 7799 Canada
+1 587 328 1099 Canada
+1 647 374 4685 Canada
+1 647 558 0588 Canada
Canada 855 703 8985 Canada Toll-free
Meeting ID: 353 955 907
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/abscayLpz ( https://www.google.com/url?q=https://zoom.us/u/abscayLpz&sa=D&ust=1570487240002000&usg=AOvVaw3baS0YLvMOVQhRUsVMH2C0 )ajhw77vTU

Meeting Agenda/Minutes

Nov 30, 2020:  Meeting Minutes; Meeting Recording

Sept 21, 2020:  Meeting Minutes; Meeting Recording; Adopter Series Requirements Summary

Aug 20, 2020:  Next meeting Meeting Minutes; Meeting Recording

July 20, 2020: Meeting Minutes; Meeting Recording

...

Nov 18: Meeting Minutes; Meeting Recording

Open Topics

  • PR Template for conventional commits is now in place for all repositories for all PRs but without TSC approval.  It doesn’t appear to be affecting any problem. We need to finalize the shape of this and officially approve the template by the TSC.
    • Mike, Lisa and Tony to provide improved template around conventional commits and any recommended policy for TSC approval.  Meeting still forthcoming.
    • Mike testing with app services
    • 2 different bots (conventional commit bot, Dependa bot – its own thing, not related to conventional commits issue)
  • Design metadata about the “gateway” or host platform (identity, location, …)
    • Being worked in core WG
    • Need some identifier in Event/Reading
    • Need a unique id for each EdgeX instance
      • New field “Tags” added to Event/Reading
      • Any service could add to that “Tags”
      • Optionally – make available a UUID through Metadata
      • Is there an industry standard – can we align to any existing standard (Jim to research)
      • Tags == Labels
        • Not key-value pair
        • Should be array of k/v (Maps) or JSON object
      • Tag to just to event (not needed to readings)
    • ADR to be created after research
    • Which issue to tackle this in - TBD
  • High priority review of ADR for bootstrapping in OCI containers requested.
  • How do we review/remove artifact removal (docker images in Docker Hub, snaps, etc.)?
    • New Docker policy will remove any image that is not pulled or pushed in 6 months.
  • Extract of Device Service requirements to ADR legacy - what are all the pieces that need to be moved there?
  • How should we apply semantic versioning to modules?  When do we update the minor and major versions of modules?  (comes from the Hanoi planning meetings)
  • Per the Hanoi planning conference - we need to better define "bound checking" so that a design (and eventual implementation) can be brought forth to meet the requirements
    • Currently considering limiting the number of operations that can be performed on a service (like a device service) over a period of time or setting the max request size (that lends to DoS attacks)
    • Can the solution be more globally applied?
  • How do address module and component version release needs for examples (per Slack exchange with Luis Obando).  go.mod in the examples helps - or at least some documentation on dependencies.
  • Is order of event/readings being sent by a single device service important?  Are there async operations in any service that could change the order of events as they are sent from a DS to core to application services (with REST, 0MQ or MQTT infrastructure)?  What do customers desire here?  Is maintained order important?  What is the current state of the system and can we diagram/document that? 
    • Jim to do some research first.  Findings: there are places in DS, Core and Application Services where messages can get out of order.  If order is something that should be an option built in, it will require much work.
  • Incorporation of Vertical Solution WG adopter presentation feedback
    • Jim to collect and present after all 5 presentations
  • EdgeX UI - it is for dev/test right now.  Would we ever want to have a UI for production?  Under what constraints?Being worked through Core WGWe need to revisit CBOR binary support vs simple JSON / binary encoding (per Core WG meeting of 1/7/21).
    • High - How to handle binary data in V2
      • Is CBOR still the right way?
      • Simplicity versus performance
      • We should have new requirements/use cases to change this
      • Jim to find the objectors to CBOR before we cover and get any suggestions/requirements for non-CBOR
  • Use of CLI to generate new application or device service
    • Per Core WG and TSC meetings (1/20/21), there is a big desire to add a feature to EdgeX tooling to more easily generate a new device or application service (using a command line tool and some template found in the SDK)
    • Question is whether this should live in edgex-cli or is this a separate tool?
    • CLI for replacing curl scripts; this doesn't see to fall in line with objectives of the current CLI.
  • Client keys in configuration; use the service keys as the constants for the map keys (per Core WG meeting of 1/21/21)
  • We are up to 58 repositories in Holding. May need to look at some cleanup in the new year.
    • Done - resolved via email
  • Core/High - Ensure that service location data is pulled from trusted source (i.e. not Consul) (Tony's ADR)
    • Covered in Security WG
  • High - V2 API - should we add security foundation added to that (per some of earlier V2 API designs via Dell and Bryon N)?
    • Adding token to authenticate a micro service call (is this in scope for Ireland)
    • May not be needed unless all services are distributed
    • We need to explore alternatives to provide secure / locked out service to service communications
  • Med - Address how to get device resource info (for app services and Kuiper)
    • Probably not ADR worthy
    • Either provide Lenny’s convenience APIs or tool to dig out the device resource information in the (cached) profiles
    • How/when to invalidate the cache if we use the profile-digging approach
  • Med - Keep commit history from beginning to end (don’t squash them until PR approved)
  • Med - Standardizing units of measure
  • Med - Declarative Kong applicability
    • Allowing us to drop Progress DB
    • But can you configure groups/users ACL
    • Only supports JWT users
  • Low - Is the Wiki the best place to document project decisions (those outside of or smaller than ADRs).  This was our initial take.  Should we revisit?
  • Low (must be done before V2 is done) - Naming scheme changes for config.Clients (key name change)
    • Use consistent name that all other services use for core data
    • Consistency in the naming vs changing all the names to use service name as part of key
    • Related to system management hard coded list of services.
    • Separate issue in arch meeting – high once report back
    • Other naming issues (secret store vs secret service)
    • Opportunity to make all config/naming consistent
    • Jim take resp – get WG leads – try to prioritize this survey
  • Low - Revisit combine core services at least at all executables in one image
    • Release would be easier but image would be bigger with more complex compose files
  • Low - Digital twin (and LWM2M) applicability
  • Low - Time series database support and applicability
    • Ian Johnson has an example of app service to InfuxDB export (snap in the store)


Non-prioritized items

  • Allowing dynamic changes to device profiles

On Hold Topics or Pending Research

None at this time