EdgeX Group Calendars
Group calendars are managed within EdgeX Groups.io mail lists with each sub-group (mail list) having a unique calendar. Meeting invites from these group calendars are sent to the applicable sub-group mail list. In order to see the various group calendars you must:
- Be logged into EdgeX Groups.io
- Be subscribed to the sub-group mail list you're interested in
- Thereafter, you will see all the calendars for the sub-groups you subscribe to under your EdgeX Groups Calendar page in Groups.io OR
- You can view all group calendars from all mail lists (regardless of whether you are a member of the mail list sub-group or not) in the EdgeX TSC Group Calendar section of the EdgeX Wiki.
Subscribing to the EdgeX Group Calendars
You can directly subscribe to the EdgeX Group Calendars to stay in sync with meetings and events.
- You can subscribe within EdgeX Groups Calendar in Groups.io for all the sub-groups you belong to or individually by sub-group calendar
- Scroll down below the calendar itself
- Click on the "Subscribe to Calendar" button
- Copy the iCal link from the pop up
- Add it as a subscribed calendar to your preferred mail tool
Zoom Bridge Overview
The LF currently provides 2 general use Zoom meeting accounts for the EdgeX community. Additional Zoom meeting accounts can be requested for the project as the project scales. These shared Zoom accounts are administered by the LF team, but usage is ultimately managed by the EdgeX community. Please carefully review the following:
- Wherever and whenever possible Zoom meeting bridges will be distributed across the different EdgeX accounts with buffers on either side of the scheduled meeting to avoid conflicts
- IF YOU ARE A HOST PLEASE LOG OFF OF THAT ZOOM HOST ACCOUNT WHEN YOUR MEETING IS OVER
- Meeting IDs are good for a specific day and time-slot only
- DO NOT use an assigned meeting bridge to start a meeting at a different date or time, otherwise you will cause conflicts for other scheduled meetings
- DO NOT log into a different meeting using the same Host account, otherwise you will cause conflicts for other scheduled meetings
Zoom Bridge Errors
If you receive the error, "The meeting host is attending another meeting" or similar message:
A previous meeting using that Host account is still in progress and did not end as scheduled
The Host forgot to end the Zoom session and someone is still connected to the bridge
Someone has used that Host account to start a meeting outside of the assigned time-slot
Someone is using that Host account to attend another Host's meeting in progress
- If you cannot get into your meeting because the host Zoom account is in use:
- Send an email to email@example.com indicating that you are having an issue with a specific meeting Host
- The email will be distributed to the complete list of alternate users that have Host privileges for EdgeX Zoom accounts/bridges
- The LF is not responsible for intervening or setting up an emergency bridge in the event of an EdgeX Zoom bridge conflict, however will assist if when possible
Requesting / Changing / Canceling a Meeting
Those with prior approval for Alternate Meeting Hosts & Recordings (see below) AND Scheduling/Managing Meetings in Groups Calendars (see below) do not need to follow this process.
For all others, to request a new meeting to be set up or change/cancel an existing meeting:
- A ticket must be created by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information included as applicable:
- Meeting Name
- Time & Timezone
- Duration for Meeting
- Recurring or One-Time Bridge Required
- Alternate Meeting Host & Recording Privileges Required (Important: Read more about this item below)
- Any additional comments you believe are relevant to your request
Note: A minimum of 2 business days lead time is required to review and complete requests.
Scheduling/Managing Meetings in Group Calendars
The LF can set up individuals from the community with privileges to schedule and manage meetings in the EdgeX Group Calendars (via the applicable Groups.io sub-group) provided the following criteria is met.
Group Calendars Meeting Management Privileges Requirements:
- Privileges are only granted to Chairs/Co-Chairs for EdgeX TSC and Sub-Committees, Working Group Chairs, or Community Coordinators
- You must be the designated with the role above on the applicable group Wiki page
- You must request privileges by emailing email@example.com and include the applicable EdgeX Groups.io sub-group you'll be coordinating the meeting within
- Once approved you will be added as a moderator for the applicable EdgeX Groups.io sub-group with permissions to add/update/cancel/delete meetings
After you have been granted Group Meeting Management Privileges, to create/update a meeting follow these steps:
- Visit the EdgeX Group Calendar within the EdgeX Groups.io instance.
- Scroll to the bottom of the group calendar, select Add Event, and choose the applicable sub-group you are trying to create a new meeting for (such as tsc@lists... or process@lists..., etc.). The sub-groups you belong to will be displayed along with those you have privileges for.
- Fill in the fields for:
- Event Name, enter descriptive name for your meeting.
- Start and End Times, enter the details noting the Timezone, selecting All Day if applicable.
- Event Repeats, select if applicable, and enter the additional details.
- Location, this will be the EdgeX Zoom link (which you will need to have previously set up, see Alternate Meeting Host & Recording Privileges info below).
- You must be very careful to not overlap EdgeX Zoom account meetings, you can view all the meetings within the EdgeX TSC Group Calendar section of the Wiki.
- Organizer Email, this will be the sub-group mail list (such as tsc@lists... or process@lists..., etc.).
- Organizer Phone, is optional.
- Event Color, this will be the color noted for the EdgeX Zoom account you are using for the meeting (such as EdgeX Working Group 1 being purple in group calendar), color designations for each EdgeX Zoom account are available here.
- Description, this will be the relevant meeting details. It is recommend to enter the following:
- Summary of the meeting purpose
- Meeting lead name
- Wiki page for reference
- Full Zoom details
- Request RSVP, select this item to ensure that guests can provide a response to your meeting (Will Attend, Will Not Attend, and Not Sure). This will also allow you to see the responses within the meeting invite.
- Max Number of Attendees, can be left at 0, which means unlimited.
- Note To Send Attendees, is optional (such as a thank you for the RSVP and a pointer to a wiki page for more information).
- Reminders, set this up for automatic email reminders to be sent to the applicable mail list regarding the meetings.
- A 1 day before and 10 minutes before reminder is suggested as a standard, leave as Send As Normal Message.
- Notifications, you must select Send Invite To Group in order for the invite to be sent to the applicable sub-group.
- Leave Send Notice To Group When Event Happens unchecked as it is not a necessary notification in most cases.
- To Update a Meeting, click on the event you are updating and select Edit Event and make the applicable changes.
- Select Update Event to save the changes and ensure you choose the update to reflect on Only This Event or All Meetings as applicable.
- The meeting update will be reflected in the meeting subscription with the next automatic update.
- To Cancel/Delete a Meeting, click on the event you are updating and select Edit Event, scroll to the bottom of the Event and click on Delete Event.
- You'll need to select either Only This Event or All Meetings as applicable here as well.
- The meeting update will be reflected in the meeting subscription with the next automatic update.
- Courtesy Email, as a meeting lead it is a best practice to email the applicable sub-group with a note about any new meetings available, any meeting changes, or meeting cancellations.
Alternate Meeting Host & Recording Privileges
Recordings cannot occur unless someone registered as the Zoom Host account is physically connected to the meeting using that account. The LF can set up individuals from the community with host credentials provided the following criteria is met.
Meeting Host & Recording Privileges Requirements:
- Privileges are only granted to TSC Members, Sub-Committee Chairs, Working Group Chairs, or Community Coordinators
- You must request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recordings will automatically be saved to the cloud
- The host has the responsibility for adding the hyperlink to the recording file to the applicable TSC Wiki page
- Please do not record live video; only slides, audio and general presentation. Should cloud storage become an issue, we will need to move toward the model of recording on your computer, uploading to Google Drive, then hyperlinking to the recorded file.
All approved hosts will be added to the email@example.com mail list for meeting troubleshooting and questions.
Step-by-Step Guide for Launching Meeting
- Go to https://zoom.us/signin to sign in:
Choose "Meetings" from the menu on the left
- Find your meeting on the list (usually the top one) and click the "Start" button to launch your meeting
- After the meeting has started, make sure the meeting shows as recording
- You can pause and resume if necessary and the recording will be saved as a contiguous stream
- Stop the recording when you are finished. The recording will also stop when you close the window.
Brett will receive notification when the meeting recording is available and will post to your Wiki. If you do not see the recording within 24 hours, feel free to email Brett, or log back into Zoom and access the recording link via xyz
List of Group Calendars Meeting Moderators
Please see above for Group Calendar Meeting Management Privileges Requirements.
Sub-Group Mail List Calendar
|Certification WG||Rodney Hess|
|Device Services WG|
|Systems Management WG|
|Vertical Solutions WG|
List of Alternate-Hosts for Zoom Meetings
Please see above for Alternate-Host Privilege Requirements. All approved alternate-hosts will be added to the firstname.lastname@example.org mail list for meeting troubleshooting and questions, see above.