The goal of this project is to create:
- A base foundation of retail-centric APIs at cloud and edge for building best in class retail experiences (allowing multiple vendors, suppliers and projects to both utilize and implement the APIs)
- A common application deployment platform for edge-native deployments (to minimize validation and integration testing required)
- Consistent integration methods, drawing on cloud-native development practices (so that integrating applications and data at the edge uses the same technology as at the cloud)
- A comprehensive set of connectors for retail IOT devices
- A community based on OSS principles to enable higher velocity of innovation
This open source framework will be created as a sub-project of EdgeX Foundry, an LF Edge project. With the creation of this sub-project, we are enlisting other key partners to help build out the Open Retail Reference Architecture (ORRA).
The scope of this project is a set of software that can be provisioned in a variety of in-store compute resource – including purpose-built devices such as POS terminals, etc., back-office servers and gateways – and more centralized hybrid-cloud infrastructure to facilitate the creation of services and the collection of data that will compel the next generation of innovation in the Retail industry.
This project will build on EdgeX Foundry, Open Horizon, and Secure Device Onboarding (SDO) projects.
Key Project Facts
Project Approval Date: TBD
Project Maintainer: TBD
Project Co-Maintainer: TBD
IBM, Intel, and HP Inc. are co-sponsoring the creation of this project within the Linux Foundation.
We are targeting this project to Retail suppliers, merchants, and partners in creating solutions for the Retail industry.
Join the Project
We are seeking retail application vendors who are prepared to help us build this project.
If you have material contributions you want to make to the creation, maintenance, and enhancement of this project, please follow the directions outlined below: